The Innovation Fellowship is a 1 year full-time opportunity for a team of doctors and engineers to learn about medical device commercialization by test driving their own medical device idea with the support of medical and engineering faculty at Northwestern and CD2’s industry partners. By the end of the program, the Innovation Fellows will understand the challenges involved in commercializing medical devices and will have created a prototype and vetted a business plan for their medical device idea.
Throughout the year, the team will:
- Identify an unmet need in healthcare by observing surgeries in the hospital
- Design and prototype the concept into a working device using prototyping facilities at Northwestern and contract developers/ manufacturers as needed
- Vet the opportunity by getting feedback from clinicians, patients and other stakeholders in the healthcare industry
- Build a business case for the device and apply for funding
- Design an intellectual property strategy and apply for patents*
- Pitch to investors
* fellows will be subject to the University's Patent and Invention Policy
Patrick McCarthy, Chief of Cardiac Surgery and Director of the Bluhm Cardiovascular Institute, believes that "CD2 is an exciting collaboration between engineers and medical doctors who share a passion for using innovative approaches to benefit the patients."
CD2 looks for physicians and engineers who want to impact patient lives by becoming innovators in the medical device sector. We want to educate the next generation of innovators and give them the knowledge and skills to efficiently drive the medical device commercialization process.
Innovation fellow candidates hold graduate degrees in engineering or medicine. Engineering candidates preferably have experience working in the medical device sector. Clinical fellows must be enrolled in a medical residency or fellowship program or must already hold a medical license. If they are enrolled at the Northwestern Medicine program, they can opt to enter the CD2 program in their research year.
Contact INVO Managing Director, Maryam Saleh, PhD at email@example.com